Storage & Moisture Control
Cypress siding is a quality wood product dried in accordance to the Standard Specifications for Grades of Southern Cypress and manufactured to perform under ordinary service conditions when stored properly and installed on structures with proper vapor retarders and ventilation in accordance with these instructions. *Note: The recommended instructions may be more restrictive than some local building codes.
Moisture – Siding material must be conditioned to the local average in-service moisture content before installation, usually between 8 and 16 percent.
- Finish Grades – 15 percent maximum moisture content
- Common Grades – 18 percent maximum moisture content
Storage – Until application, store cypress siding in an unheated structure or under cover.
- Do not seal the unit. Ventilation is necessary to prevent condensation and ground moisture absorption, which may cause mildew or mold.
- Special care should be given to material that has become wet during storage (i.e., broken units, etc.) because it may shrink and open gaps at the joints after application.
- Siding may be temporarily stored outside if at least 4 inches off the ground and on a flat, well-drained surface, protected from moisture with a shed pack or waterproof cover.